An error Xinput1_3.dll is missing when running an executable exe file on Windows 10 is caused by the missed or corrupted XINPUT1_3.dll dynamic library file, which is a component of the DirectX 9 library. Most often, this error occurs when running old videogames and other graphic apps. In this article, we’ll show you how to fix the “Xinput1_3.dll error is missing” in Windows 10 and successfully run your application.
Suppose when you trying to run a newly installed game or app, you encounter an error:
SomeGame.exe – System Error
The program can’t start because XINPUT1_3.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
This message indicates that Windows couldn’t find this DirectX 9 component. In Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, a more recent version of DirectX is installed by default and the old DirectX 9 libraries are simply missing.
The XINPUT1_3.dll is an interface controller library and provides interaction with input devices (Microsoft Common Controller API). This library is used by almost all video games and graphical utilities under Windows.
At first try to find the file XINPUT1_3.dll on the local drive of your computer. Most likely you will find it in the folder C:\Windows\System32 on Windows 10 x86 or in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory on the x64 version of Windows.
Run a command prompt as an administrator and try to re-register the XINPUT1_3.dll library in Windows (quite often this solves the problem without any additional steps):
If this file is not found, the easiest way is to download and reinstall DirectX 9 entirely.
Important note! Earlier on the Microsoft website there was a direct link to download the XINPUT1_3.dll file. But now it doesn’t work. It is not recommended to download the XINPUT1_3.dll file from any third-party sites and register it in the system. You can download a file infected with a virus or trojan.
- Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer here. The DirectX 9.0c web installer file should be downloaded—dxwebsetup.exe (you can download the full DirectX 9 offline installer here, the file size is about 95 Mb);
- Run dxwebsetup.exe and install DirectX 9 (the installation procedure is extremely simple Accept > Next > Next > Finish);
- Try to run your application. If the “XINPUT1_3.dll is missing” error persists, the application may need some special version of DirectX. Try searching for the DirectX distribution on the installation disc with your game or program (it is usually located in the Redist folder) and install the found version of DirectX.
Corrupted Microsoft DirectX Files
In case you already have the latest DirectX version installed, then check if DirectX files are corrupted on your OS, this issue can cause Xinput1_3.dll is missing error. You can fix the problem through 3 steps: uninstall the current version of DirectX, then download the installer, and install DirectX again. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program;
- Here, find and select Microsoft DirectX in the list of programs;
- Uninstall the DirectX through the following steps in the instructions. Reboot your machine;
- Now you need the latest version of DirectX installer. You can download it directly from the MS Download Centre;
- When the download finishes, click twice on the installer to run it.
Try to Re-Register XINPUT1_3.dll File
In some cases, the problem can be solved when the user re-register xinput1_3.dll file in the system. If the file is already registered, you will need to un-register it first.
- Open Command prompt with Administrator privileges;
- To un-register dll file run the command:
REGSVR32 –u xinput1_3.dll
- After that, register the file again with a command:
- Close Command prompt window and reboot your machine;
- Check if the problem persists.
- Fix Trust relationship Failed Issue Without Domain Rejoining - January 21, 2021
- How to Login with a Local Windows Account Instead of Domain Account? - January 20, 2021
- How to View Saved Wi-Fi Passwords on Windows 10? - January 15, 2021