You can face an error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings when running Network troubleshooter tool if you have problems with Internet connection. For example, your connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) is lost, and a yellow exclamation mark appears next to the network connection icon. There are also cases when this error appears at a time when the Internet connection over Wi-Fi or by cable works normally. You can run Network troubleshooter in Windows 10 by running Settings -> Update & security -> Troubleshoot -> Network Adapter -> Run the troubleshooter.
The error looks like this:
Problems found. Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings : Detected
There are several tested solutions that work in all versions of Windows (starting Windows 7 and ending with the latest Windows 10 builds).
How to Fix Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings?
But first of all we recommend you to try these simple steps:
- Restart your computer (do exactly reboot). If the Internet is connected via cable, unplug the cable and reconnect it;
- If the Internet is connected through a router, then reboot it. Just turn off the power for about a minute, and turn it back on.
Perhaps a simple reboot of devices will solve the problem. If not, follow the instructions below.
Reset Network Settings
Try resetting the TCP/IP stack and the DNS cache on you device:
- Run elevated command prompt;
- Execute the following commands:
netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset c:\netshlog.txt ipconfig /flushdns
- Restart the computer to complete this action.
In Windows 10 you can reset network settings from Settings -> Network & Internet -> Status by pressing Network reset option.
Check Proxy Server Settings
In some cases, Windows could not automatically proxy settings error occurs because users changed the proxy server settings for some reason.
Run the inetcpl.cpl command, click the Connection tab, and click the Lan Settings button. If you do not use a proxy server to connect to the Internet, then the following two checkboxes must be unchecked.
- Use automatic configuration script;
- Use a proxy server for your LAN.
Uncheck them all except Automatically detect settings options. Save the changes.
If this did not help, then try also to check off Automatic parameter definition too.
In Windows 10, the proxy server settings can also be set in Settings -> Network & Internet -> Proxy.
Check that everything is disabled there, except Automatically detect settings. As in the screenshot bellow:
If this does not help, then you can also try to disable this item too.
We are pretty sure that after running the Network Troubleshoot tool in Windows, the error will no longer appear.
- How to Find Active Directory Nested Group Members? - August 1, 2020
- Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine – Start to Finish V2 - July 31, 2020
- How to Install VMWare Tools on Guest VMs? - July 31, 2020