You can face the error VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing when running some well-known programs and games. There is a bunch of cases, when some well-known software had issues related to vcruntime140.dll (as Creative Cloud issues after June 2016 Release, when their apps migrated to Microsoft’s Visual C++ runtimes; error happens on Firefox, Outlook, Office, or when launching Autodesk products). The problem is related to the fact that the system library vcruntime140.dll is missing, damaged, not registered, or using the old version on the computer. This error may appear in both Windows 10, and Windows 7/8.1. In this article, we will discuss how to fix the following error when running newly installed apps.
How Does VCRUNTIME140.dll is Missing Error Look Like?
The VCRUNTIME140.dll issue looks like this:
The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
First of all, let’s understand what the vcruntime140.dll library file is used for. This file is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package system package, which includes Visual C ++ environment components for running applications written on the programming languages C++ and C#. Your computer must have this file if you want to run a program or game developed on Microsoft Visual C++. Software developers can sometimes include the components of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package environment (including the vcruntime140.dll file) in their distribs, but this is not always the case. Accordingly, to solve the problem, you can:
- Download and install the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package from the Microsoft website;
- Reinstall a program or game;
- Try to find the vcruntime140.dll file on your computer and re-register it;
- Restore the system from a restore point in case your vcruntime140.dll was corrupted. Rolling back to an earlier version when VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error did not occur could solve the problem.
Important! Be warned, you shouldn’t download the vcruntime140.dll file from third-party sites, because this is pointless (most likely you are downloading an old version of the file) and dangerous (you can download a file with a built-in trojan or virus).
Download and Install the Latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
The easiest and correct way is to download the latest version of Microsoft Visual C ++ 2015 from the Microsoft website. However, first of all, you need to determine which version of Windows is used on your computer: x86 or x64.
- Press the key combination Win+Pause;
- In the System window, note the value in the System type string. In our case it’s 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor;
- This means that we need to download Microsoft Visual C ++ 2015 x64.
Go to the official Microsoft site with the following link. You will be prompted to download Microsoft Visual C ++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC. Click the Download button.
Select the bitness of the package you want to download. In our case, it is vc_redist.x64.exe and click Next.
Save the file to a local drive and run it as an administrator.
In the installation wizard, check the box “I agree to the license terms and conditions” and click the Next button.
Wait until the installation of VC Redistributable is complete, then restart the computer and check that the program that didn’t start due to the missing vcruntime140.dll file now starts correctly.
If you cannot download the vc_redist.x64.exe file, you can try to find the vcruntime140.dll file on your computer using a search (own vcruntime140.dll file may be located in the installation directory of various programs installed on your computer, for example, Firefox, OneDrive, Skype, Microsoft Office 365). Copy it to the folder C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (depending on the Windows bitness).
Re-Register vcruntime140.dll file on the System
Try simply re-registering the library on the system. Use the following steps (should be performed using Command prompt with administrator privileges):
At first, unregister the DLL file with the command:
regsvr32 –u vcruntime140.dll
After that, register the file again:
Restore the System from a Restore Point in Case Vcruntime140.dll Got Corrupted
Another thing you should try is to restore your Windows from the restore point. That will help you to take your machine back to the time when you did not face VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing. Follow these steps:
- Press Win + R to launch Run. Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. After that you will be prompted to the recovery tool;
- On the next step, you need to find the Choose a different restore point option. Select this option > click Next. Now you need to check the Show more restore points option and you will display a full list of available dates to recover;
- Now choose the needed date and restore your Windows machine;
- After that click Next > Finish.
- How to Install and Configure SNMP Service on Windows 10? - December 25, 2020
- How to Migrate User Profiles with User State Migration Tool (USMT) on Windows 10? - December 24, 2020
- PowerShell: Convert String to Int - December 18, 2020