In some cases, in Windows 10 you can see an error Unable to reach Windows activation servers in the activation status panel. In this article we will explain why this error may appear and how to fix it.
First of all, pay attention to more detailed information about the activation error, which is listed below and highlighted in red.
For example, the error might be look like this:
Windows can’t activate right now. Try activating again later. If that doesn’t work, contact your system administrator. Error code: 0x8007232B
This activation error may appear in the following cases:
- You are not connected to the Internet or using an unstable connection;
- Microsoft activation servers are busy or unavailable (in January 2019, activation servers were unavailable for about a day);
- Your antivirus or firewall blocks access to activation servers;
- Your computer is connected to the Internet through a proxy server that blocks access to Windows activation servers;
- Your computer has been upgraded from Windows 10 with a pirated version of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. In this case, you need to specify the correct Windows 10 product key (see below).
Another possible activation error
Activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001
When this error occurs, you must specify the correct Windows 10 product key.
Click the button «Change product key» (Settings > Update and security > Activation)
In the Product key field, enter the activation key for your Windows 10 edition or enter the GVLK key (from the webpage)
Click Next > Next. Windows will attempt to activate your Windows 10 OS.
If you upgraded to Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 during the free upgrade offer, you can use the product key from these OS editions.
If you specified the correct key, but activation still does not occur, wait a few hours, there may be temporary problems on the activation servers.
In some cases, the activation error may look like below:
Windows is unable to reach your company’s activation service. Please connect to your corporate network. If you are connected and continue to see the error, contact your system administrator. You can also click on error detail to find the exact error. Error code: 0xC004F074
This error indicates a problem with an activation on the corporate activation server—KMS (Key Management Service).
To fix this error:
- Perform integrity check and repair of corrupted Windows system files using the command:
After that, restart your computer and try to activate Windows again;
- Try to delete the current Windows product key with the command
and install it again with the command:
slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
Now try to activate Windows:
- Try to activate the product key through the graphic interface (SLUI). Press the Win+R and enter: SLUI 3. In the window that appears, enter your Windows product key and try to activate OS;
- Try to temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus and perform Windows activation. Perhaps they block access to the KMS server (or Microsoft activation servers);
- The reason may be the absence of SRV record _VLMCS._tcp in your DNS. This record can be created manually, or you can specify the KMS address on the client manually using the command:
slmgr /skms kms.theitbros.com:1688
- If nothing helps you, then you should contact Microsoft support team.
- How to Setup Gmail in Outlook? - October 14, 2021
- How to Clear Browsing History in Safari on iPhone/iPad? - October 11, 2021
- Allow Non-administrators to Install Printer Drivers via GPO - October 1, 2021