Unveiled in 2011 alongside the iPhone 4S, Siri was the first mainstream voice assistant. Since then, Apple has added many new features and capabilities to make Siri more useful and reliable. However, so did the competitors. Fast forward to 2023, and we have Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa beating Siri in almost every aspect. Apple’s strict privacy policies do not allow the company to improve Siri as fast as Google improves its Assistant. Lackluster performance and the inability to perform many tasks—including some basic things—make customers looks elsewhere or disable Siri altogether. For example, iPhone users often google how to turn off Siri Suggestions on iPhone, and this article will show you how to remove Siri suggestions.
iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) prompt users to enable Siri during the initial setup. If the user decides to use Siri, they also get Siri suggestions. Those are different tips and offers across various parts of the operating system. You can find Siri suggestions on the lock screen, in Spotlight, when sharing files, on the Home screen, in widget stacks, etc. No matter how hard Apple tries to improve Siri, the assistant often falls flat and fails to provide a decent experience for its user base. If you think Siri Suggestions are more annoying than helpful, here is how to turn off Siri Suggestions on your iPhone and iPad.
Turn off Siri Suggestions
Before you proceed to remove Siri Suggestions, make sure the voice assistant is enabled.
Pull down on the home screen to open Spotlight and tap Show Less. This will not turn off Siri Suggestions, but reduce the number of recommendations.
Note. Chek our post on how to fix Gmail not updating on iPhone.
- Go to Settings and tap the Siri and Search section.
- Scroll down and find the Suggestions from Apple section. Here you can turn off Siri Suggestions in different parts of the operating system. You can turn off Siri Suggestions partially, for example, only in Spotlight.
- Disable one, several, or all toggles in the Suggestions from Apple section.
- Also, turn off the Show Suggestions in the Before Searching section to disable Siri Suggestions in Spotlight.
- Close the Settings app.
Alternatively, search the Settings app to find the Siri Suggestions section quickly. Open Settings and tap the search box above your profile. Type Suggestions and select Suggestions in Search in the search results.
Disable Siri Suggestions in Widgets
Another area where you will find Siri Suggestions is widgets. iOS allows placing several widgets in stacks for more information on a single home page. Siri automatically populates each stack with recommendations enabled by default. Very few users like such a setup, so here is how to turn off Siri Suggestions in iOS widgets:
- Create a stack by dragging a widget on top of another widget of the same size.
- Enter the “jiggle” mode by long-tapping anywhere on the screen. You should see the x button next to each app.
- Tap your widget stack. Alternatively, tap and hold a stack.
- You can try making Siri Suggestions more useful by tapping Suggest Less. iOS will remember your preferences and try to tailor its recommendations.
- To turn off Siri Recommendations in iOS widgets, tap Widget Suggestions.
Turn off Siri Suggestions – Disable Siri
Another way to turn off Siri Suggestions is to disable the voice assistant. This will be a preferred option for those not using Siri or finding it too primitive compared to the competition.
Go to Settings > Siri and Search and toggle off the following options: Listen for “Hey Siri,” “Press Home for Siri,” or “Press Side/Top Button for Siri” on iPhones and iPads with FaceID, and “Allow Siri When Locked.”
Tip. If you do not like how much space Siri Suggestions take on the search screen, you can tap the little arrow button in the top-right corner, which will collapse the list of suggested apps.
That is how you turn off Siri Suggestions on iPhone and iPad.