This article will show you how to restore deleted contacts on iPhone. If you have accidentally removed one or several contacts and do not know how to recover them, keep reading this article. It will show you all the methods to restore contacts on iPhone and iPad and get the phone numbers and emails you need back.
Tip. The best way to ensure you never have to restore contacts on iPhone is to store them in iCloud and create iPhone backups frequently.
Before you start, check where you store your contacts on your iPhone. If you have deleted contacts stored locally and do not have iCloud backups, bad luck: you cannot restore your contacts. If you keep contacts in a Google Account, check our article describing how to restore deleted contacts in Gmail. Finally, if you prefer keeping your data in iCloud, continue with the article.
Another thing you should check is whether you have contacts sync enabled:
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Contacts > Accounts.
- Tap your iCloud Account.
- Tap iCloud.
- Tap Show All.
- Make sure the Contacts option is enabled.
Do the following to check where your iPhone stores your contacts:
- Launch the Contacts app and tap Lists in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Check the “Lists” section. Your iPhone will show local contacts, iCloud, Gmail, and phone numbers stored in other accounts.
Note. You cannot restore iPhone contacts stored on SIM card. Avoid storing contacts on a SIM card since it is not safe or reliable. Also, if possible, add an eSIM to your iPhone to improve your security and opt for a more convenient SIM.
Restore Deleted Contacts on iPhone
You can restore deleted contacts on iPhone from the icloud.com website. It is available on any device with a relatively modern browser. Still, we recommend restoring contacts on iPhone using Chrome, Edge, or Safari.
Tip. Avoid using third-party software that promises to magically restore your deleted contacts. You can get everything back without purchasing a single app. Also, most of them do not work with encrypted backups.
- Go to icloud.com and click Sign in.
- Enter your Apple ID details.
- Once on the iCloud Home page, click a menu button in the upper-right corner of the screen and select Data Recovery.
- Click Restore Contacts.
- iCloud will show you a list of available contacts archives. You will notice several options with different dates, so select the one closest to the time when the contacts you need disappeared.
- Click Restore and wait for iCloud to restore your contacts. Note that your iPhone must be connected to the internet to sync the deleted contacts.
- Wait a few minutes for your iPhone to restore deleted contacts. Launch the Contacts app and see if they are there.
If you store your iPhone contacts locally, the only way to restore them is to use an iPhone backup stored locally (via iTunes) or in iCloud. That is how you restore deleted contacts on iPhone.