Almost every laptop has a dedicated Fn key for additional actions and shortcuts specific to each model. For example, you can use the Fn key to turn on/off Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, change volume, screen brightness, turn on/off keyboard backlight, disable trackpad, etc. Most often, the Fn key works in conjunction with the F1-F12 keys. Some manufacturers also use additional buttons for even more shortcuts with the Fn keys. It is a wonderful feature that many laptop owners enjoy using.
Unfortunately, there is a common problem that most often appears after a user updates or reinstalls Windows. The Fn key is not working properly or does not work at all. In this article, you will find several tips on how to fix the Fn key not working. Also, we have some specific guides for several most common laptop brands: ASUS, HP, Acer, Lenovo, and Dell.
How to Fix Fn Key not Working Properly on Laptop?
Here are the most typical reasons why the Fn key no longer works. Again, most often, the problem appears after reinstalling or updating Windows. The same problem may occur after disabling specific software autorun or changing certain BIOS/UEFI settings.
Begin fixing the Fn key not working problem with considering the following, most popular reasons.
- Fn lock. Some laptops have a dedicated Fn button lock that disables the Fn button. It often works with a dedicated setting that changes the F-row of keys on a keyboard to either work as F1-F12 or shortcuts keys. Most often, the Fn lock shortcut is Fn + Esc. You may also find a lock icon on the Esc button. Press these buttons, then try using the Fn key again.
- Lack of specific software. Often time laptops require dedicated software and drivers from manufacturers. That is the first thing you need to do after reinstalling Windows. If you have installed the software, but the Fn key still does not work, check the compatibility. It is possible that the manufacturer no longer supports Windows 10 due to the laptop’s age.
- Autorun. The Fn key operation may depend on previously mentioned software. If so, it tries to set the program to autorun when Windows starts. Some users hate when programs start automatically with Windows. Such behavior makes the system start longer, especially on old machines. Open Task Manager and go to the Startup page. Find the software for managing the Fn key and enable startup. This fix is the first thing you need to do if the Fn key works until you restart a computer.
- Broken Key. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix for this. Find a nearby repair shop to troubleshoot your laptop keyboard. As an option, you may want to try cleaning the keyboard.
The most common cause is described in the first part of this post, but below we will look at all options for each of the popular brands of laptops and possible scenarios to fix the problem.
Before we start. Manufacturers constantly change how their software works. We cannot check whether all the apps mentioned below work with every laptop from a specific manufacturer. The best option is simply to download and install all the available drivers and software. That will help you make sure the Fn key is working properly. If it does not, the problem may be hidden not in the software.
The Fn Key Does Not Work on ASUS laptops – How to Fix?
On ASUS laptops, ATKPackage is responsible for the Fn key. You need to download it from the official website and install it on a PC. Besides installing the required components, you need to make sure the hcontrol.exe utility runs when Windows starts. The installer should automatically place it in the Startup list. Make sure it is there after the installation is over. Again, open Task Manager and go to the Startup tab.
Download and install ATKPackage for your Windows version. After installation complete, reboot your system and check if the function keys work properly.
Tip. If there is no version for Windows 10 (in the case of old laptops), try downloading and installing the latest version available. Usually, Windows 7 software works fine with newer versions.
The Fn key Does Not Work on HP Laptops
To use the Fn key and its associated function keys on the HP Pavilion notebooks and other HP laptop models, you need to download and install the following components from the official site:
- HP Software Framework, HP Hotkey Support HP On-Screen Display and HP Quick Launch from the Sofware > Solutions section of the HP website.
- Support Tools Pack for HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) from section Utility.
Some HP laptops have a dedicated setting in BIOS. It manages how the Fn key works. You can find the setting in System Configuration. If Action Keys Mode is disabled, the function keys only work with the Fn key; if Enabled—without it (you need to press the Fn key to use the upper row of the keys as F1-F12).
The Fn key Does Not Work on Acer Laptops – How to Fix It?
If the Fn button does not work on a laptop from Acer, it is usually enough to install the Acer Launch Manager application and Acer Power Manager.
- Go to the official site.
- In the Select Device section, specify the model and the operating system. If your Windows version is not listed, download the drivers from the latest supported Windows version. Do not forget to check whether the app is x32 or x64 according to your system.
- Download and install the utilities. Do note that in some cases it requires to install the latest chipset driver from the same webpage.
The Fn Key Does Not Work on Lenovo Laptops
Different Lenovo laptops have different utilities for the Fn key. Find your laptop model on the http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en page. In the Top Downloads section, click View all, then find and download the following utilities and drivers (if available) for your Windows version:
- Lenovo OnScreen Display Utility
- Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10
- Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver
- Lenovo Energy Management (Power Management)
Tip. If all the Fn shortcuts work properly except Fn+F5 and Fn+F7, try to install the official Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers from the Lenovo website.
The Fn Key Does Not Work on Dell Laptops
To fix the Fn key now working on Dell laptops, you need to download the following apps and drivers. They usually work with Inspiron, Latitude, XPS, and other series.
- Dell Power Manager Lite Application
- Dell QuickSet Application
- Dell Foundation Services — Application
- Dell Function Keys
You can download those applications from the official Dell support site. Enter your model and switch to the section Drivers & Downloads. Alternatively, download Dell SupportAssist. It will automatically scan your system for new drivers for all the components and ensure all features work properly, including the Fn key.
Just like in the case with Lenovo, you need to make sure you have working Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers for the corresponding Fn shortcuts to work.