With the latest iOS updates, Apple has finally given users more freedom to choose default apps. You can now change the default email app on iPhone, as well as the default browser. It is a significant change in Apple’s ecosystem, which is well-known for keeping its gates closed as tight as possible.
This article shows everything you need to know about changing the default email app on iPhone and iPad.
Can I Change the Default Email App on My iPhone?
Yes, you can. But before you proceed with changing the default Mail app on iPhone, there are few things you need to know.
- To change the default email app on iPhone, you need a device compatible with iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. You can install iOS 14 on iPhone 6S/SE and better and iPad Air 2/mini 4 and better.
- Your preferred email client should support setting up the default email client.
After changing the default email app in iOS, you will be able to use email links from a browser or other apps in your preferred app, not in the stock email client.
Changing iOS Default Email App
We will show you how to change the default email app on iPhone using Outlook as an example. The same idea applies to any other app that is compatible with iOS 14 default apps mechanisms.
- Download the email app you want to set as the default on iPhone.
- Set up email accounts and close the app.
- Go to Settings and scroll down to the list of installed apps. Find your email app and tap it.
- Find the Default Mail App option and tap it.
- Select your app from the list.
That is how you set the default mail app on your iPhone. On iPads, all settings and options are the same.
Tip. Popular email apps nowadays come with the option that allows you to quickly jump to the needed section in Settings to change the default email app in iOS.
For example, if you want to set Outlook as the default email app on iPhone, open Outlook and pull out the side menu. Tap Settings, then tap Set Default Email App. Outlook will switch to iOS settings, where you can select the app as the default email client.
Cannot Change Default Email App on iPhone
There are two reasons why some users may not be able to change the default email app on iPhone:
- Old iOS version. Update your device to the latest supported iOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- An outdated email app. Go to App Store and check when was the last time your email app received an update. Download the latest version available. If you still cannot change the default email app on iPhone, contact the app developer. Most probably, the developer has not updated the application to support default apps in iOS 14.
Tip. Sometimes, iOS may mess things app and revert the default email app to Apple’s Mail. If you have noticed that iPhone again opens email links in Apple Mail, simply repeat the process described at the beginning of the article.
That is it. As you see, changing the default email app on iPhone is easy and takes no more than a minute.