One of the most significant changes Apple introduced in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 is the ability to change the default browser and the email app. While it is true that all browsers in the App Store share the same Safari engine under the hood, some third-party browsers offer better features and capabilities. For example, Windows users may prefer Edge over Safari thanks to sync and tab sharing between devices. In this article, we will show you how to change default browser on iPhone and iPad.
Changing Default Browser on iPhone
Before you begin, we need to point your attention at several moments. For starters, you can only change the default browser on iPhone that runs iOS 14. The same applies to iPads: only tablets with iPadOS 14 can set Chrome as the default browser in iOS.
You can check your iOS version by opening Settings > General > About > Software version. As for compatibility, iOS 14 is officially available on iPhone 6S/SE and better and iPad Air 2/mini 5 and better.
Another thing you need to know is that developers need to update their browsers to support the new default apps protocol in iOS 14. If you cannot change the default browser on iPhone, that is because the browser you want to set as the default probably does not support iOS 14.
Finally, be aware that other apps may still open Safari by default. Also, in-app browsers remain Safari-based.
How to Make Chrome Default Browser on iPhone?
Although we use Chrome as a reference, the following guide applies to any other browser: Edge, Firefox, etc.
- Open Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Scroll down and find Google Chrome in the list of available settings.
- Tap the Default Browser App option.
- Select Chrome in the list or any other browser available on your device.
There is another way to set Chrome as the default browser on iPhone:
- Open Google Chrome on iPhone.
- Tap the button with three dots in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Tap Default Browser > Open Chrome Settings.
- Tap Default Browser App and select Chrome.
That is how to set Chrome as the default browser on iPhone or iPad. The first part of the guide applies to any browser, while the second is Chrome-specific. Still, popular browsers offer in-app links to the default browser settings.
Cannot Install Chrome as the Default Browser on iPhone
First, make sure your iPhone or iPad runs the latest iOS 14.6 or newer. If no, go to Settings > General > Software Update and install available updates.
Also, you may be running a significantly outdated version of Chrome that is not optimized for iOS 14. Go to App Store and install all available updates.
- How to Setup Gmail in Outlook? - October 14, 2021
- How to Clear Browsing History in Safari on iPhone/iPad? - October 11, 2021
- Allow Non-administrators to Install Printer Drivers via GPO - October 1, 2021