Feedly App for WP8 & Windows 8
With Google Reader shutting down a few days ago, we were searching for a good alternative and landed upon Feedly. Feedly has actually been around for a couple years, but they have made some major improvements over the last year. Especially with the recent launch of their new cloud platform. Unfortunately one thing they don’t have is a Windows 8 App or WP8 app. You can see on this Feedly blog post, there have been a lot of requests for one.
Solution? Try out Nextgen Reader
Nextgen Reader Windows 8 App
- Personalize: Choose between eight color accents to personalize the design e.g. teal, blue, etc.
- Modern view: A beautiful grid based layout for your tablet/touch-screen device.
- 3-pane view: A classic 3-column layout for non-touch/traditional PC’s.
- Customize reading view: Set default open method per feed: summary, full article or web page.
- Multiple live tiles: Pin multiple live tiles to start screen from both classic view and modern view.
- Security: Completely safe oauth2 web authentication.
- Mobilizer: Inbuilt Readability/Instapaper/Google mobilizer.
- Shortcuts: Full keyboard support in classic view (press “?” key). Same as Google Reader.
- Touch: Swipe to move between articles.
- Roaming: Login once and run on multiple Windows 8 PC’s.
Here are a couple screenshots of the Nextgen Reader Windows 8 app running in Stardock’s Modernmix.
Grab Nextgen Reader for Windows 8 on the Windows Store for $2.99 or give the trial a whirl.
Nextgen Reader WP8 App
- Support for multiple small, medium and wide live tiles.
- Pin your favorite feeds/folders to start and see unread count + headline on the glance.
- Integrated Services: Post article on Twitter, Facebook & Windows Live or save to Readability, InstaPaper & Pocket.
- Full offline mode with image caching.
- Dynamic subscriptions hub.
- Search articles inside all items, read items or starred items.
- Read full or mobilized articles easily.
- Flick/swipe to move between articles.
- Support for YouTube videos.
- Secure: always uses https to sync.
- URL shortner, custom themes and much more.
Here are a couple screenshots of the Nextgen Reader WP8 app.
Main App View
Sharing an Article
Mobile Compatibility View
What we still need now is a BufferApp so that we can share straight to Buffer from Nextgen Reader. But until then you can use IFTTT and automate “saving an article”/starring it so that it goes to Buffer. Use our IFTTT (Feedly to Buffer) recipe here: https://ifttt.com/recipes/103046
Grab Nextgen Reader WP8 app on the Windows Store for $1.99 or give the trial a run down.
Feedly Web Version
And of course you can access Feedly via your web browser where they now have a great responsive site!
Let us know what you think of Nextgen Reader for WP8 and Windows 8!