You might have encountered the following error: when trying to open a video file of .mov format, you get a message along the lines of “Error – 2048: Couldn’t open the fule because it is not a file that QuickTime understands”.
So what’s with this error, and why doesn’t it go away even if you open the file with something else, like VLM Media Player?
Well, Error – 2048 refers to “no movie found”. More accurately, it refers to the “movie atom” which describes the media data inside the MOV file. If the movie atom is missing, the previously mentioned error appears.
MOV is a file format commonly used for saving video files on Mac OS X, as these files boast a great compression algorithm and are recognized for their great video quality. Even though we’re talking about a great multimedia file format, they can still be affected by problems such as corruption and damage.
Among the events which cause the Error 2048 one can list the following:
– Interruption while transferring video file from one device to another
– Improper installation of QuickTime player
– Incomplete recovery of MOV file
– MOV Header file is corrupted due to malware attack
– Playing MOV video files on incompatible video players
– Error while converting MOV video file to any other file format
– Downloading MOV file from unauthorized servers, and more
To get rid of this error message, you will have to fix the file – something which, thankfully, can be done. There are quite a few repair utilities available online, so choosing the right one for the job should be your first step. Yodot MOV Repair is a useful repair utility which does a good job fixing your corrupted or damaged MOV video file.
The tool can fix MOV files which the QuickTime player failed to play. Another nice thing about it is that, although its name includes the words “MOV Repair”, it can actually mend other kinds of video files, like MP4 or M4V.
Additionally, it allows Mac users to preview repaired MOV files saving them. You can find and download the software online.
How to Fix MOV Files after QuickTime Error 2048:
After you’ve downloaded Yodot MOV Repair software and installed it on your Mac device:
– Open the installed software and follow the main screen steps
– Find the damaged MOV file which you want to repair by using “Browse” button
– After selecting the file, click on “Repair” option to start the repair process
– The duration of the repair progress can be estimated by looking at the progress bar
– After completing the repair process, the software displays the description of your MOV video file
– If you wish, you can preview the fixed MOV video file before saving
– Finally, save the repaired MOV file to the location of your choice